Contribute

• Hi Guys,

I would like to join the Development Team and help you out to improve the Site and the API.
    Where do I start?

Greetings
    Solidus

• Go to the GitHub page at:

https://github.com/TheGamesDB

Find something small at first (like the fricking thumbnail bug!), fix that, and create a pull request. Then you’ll be able to take on larger and larger tasks!

From my understanding, the main dev Flexage is SUPER busy right, so there aren’t any specific tickets as of yet to work on for the API.

• administrators

Yep, what stainless said is true, Flexage is the main Dev, but he’s got a lot going on right now so any help is appreciated! :) Head over to git and see if there’s anything you want to tackle. Feel free to submit new pulls too. Welcome to the team!

• I just pushed my first change.

After looking through the project a few questions came up.

How many developers are there, is flexage the only one?

Is the git repo really the current state of the project?
    That would mean that nearly a year no one worked on the project.

What versions of php, mysql ect. are running on the server?

I’m sorry but I have to say the the code looks kind of ugly :grin:
    I don’t want to piss someone off, I produced so bad code before too :)

But the code is kind of old fashioned, uses a lot of deprecated stuff, duplicate code etc.
    It is really hard to fix and extends things in this code base.

I don’t really know how much sense it makes to continue this code base :grin:

So at first I think at first I will continue with the api as it is independent from the rest.

• administrators

Hi there!

First off, welcome, to the team, and thank you for the PR. I’ll do my best to get it tested and merged in to live in a timely fashion ;)

Now down to the nitty gritty…

To explain the current state of the code, a brief history lesson is required.

TheGamesDB actually started its life as a fork of the source code of TheTVDB.com. In retrospect, this original code base wasn’t an ideal starting point, but I wasn’t part of the project at that point and as I understand it, the aim was to get something up and running as quickly as possible.

A short burst of development then took place, and resulted in a partially working, and part-migrated code base. At this point development ceased.

Even though the site was not actively developed at this time, and with only a basic feature set available, the site managed to attract a growing community of both API users, and content submitters.

After nearly a year of stagnant development, I got in touch with Scott and offered to put forward a few commits to patch some broken things up.

I had just started university at this point, and started doing more and more in between assignments.

About a year later, I spent the best part of my summer break turning the site code into what it is now. It’s certainly not pretty, efficient, well thought out, or nice to work with. But it’s definitely much better than the state it was in when I inherited it.

Since then, my main focus has been on keeping the site running. It has taken a lot of time and financial resources, and that has left me with very little time to update the code with shiny new features.

Combine that with the fact that any considerable development with the current codebase probably wouldn’t be worth the pay off, and we’re now where we are today.

In my honest opinion, the site needs rewriting from the ground up. If this was to take place it certainly wouldn’t be using the current LAMP stack… it’s simply too slow, inefficient and not scalable enough.

Any solution that would be implemented would have to take advantage of the distributed, horizontally scalable computing architectures available today. It’s the only way the site would be able to cope with the ever growing number of requests we see on an hourly basis.

IMHO, this is the way forward, commuting any significant code the the current site would be working against ourselves and draining our human resources that could be more wisely spent on furthering the site in a better way. ;)

With that being said, if you would like to have a chat about the possibility of getting involved in a rewrite, and what that would entail, I’m happy to chat more :)

Lead Developer for TheGamesDB.net

• I thought the reason was something like that. :smile:
    A lot of software project grow like that.

I’m glad to hear that you’re the same opinion that it needs a rebuild from the ground and
    I’m sure that I can spare a few hours of my time each week to work on the project.

So I would be glad to be a part of the development team of the new site.

Have you already thought on any details of it, like language, framework etc. ?

I personally have experience in PHP, JavaScript, HTML5, CSS (SASS) plus a couple
    of the common frameworks for these languages.

We can chat about the details in the following days or weeks depends on when
    we will find a time where we are both available.

As I don’t know where you from or what timezone you’re in, the following times are UTC.
    I normally should be available when coming from work at around 3pm.
    This thursday I will be available the whole day from 8am to 6pm.

I 'm happy to hear from you. Regards
    Solidus