Site help

• Hey I just wrote on facebook, but thought I’d offer some help on the site if you need any?

I wrote lots of other metadata sites, and am involved with the PHP usergroups in the uk.

Main reason is i’m starting to use retro player on OpenELEC and looking at data sources ;)

• administrators

@zag Thanks for getting in touch with us, we’d love some help with the coding!

The code is hosted on GitHub along with instructions on setting up a dev copy of the site to work with: https://github.com/TheGamesDB/TheGamesDB

We normally choose work from the issue tracker on github, however it’s a little bit out of date now.

If you fancy helping, you can feel free to go ahead and set up your dev environment, and I’ll get in touch with @smidley to formulate a plan of action :smiley_cat:

Lead Developer for TheGamesDB.net

• As this thread is open already… do you need any new moderators for the Moderation/Image/Data queue?

I reported many low quality pixelish images or uploaded High Quality Covers to replace the bad ones, but for 3 or 4 Months now nothing really happened. As I am online @GBD on a daily basis, I would be more than willing to help and evaluate all cover/banner/wallpaper/duplicate related issues or resolve other similar game data requests.

• administrators

That’s cool! Thanks for the offer :+1:

@smidley usually deals with this sort of thing, I’ve copied him in so hopefully he can sort something out with you soon ;)

• Thanks, much appreciated! Hope he is not too busy to reply :sunglasses:

• administrators

@silverscar I’ve made you a mod on the site. Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for the help!

• Thank you, awesome! :smiley:

Gonna check out the admin options later, and also the current queue.

• Hey guys, is there any chance I could also be a mod for the image queue? I’ve submitted hundreds of new games with HQ artwork over the last year, however there are still many games with low res images. I’ve ended up sourcing my own images from other websites, but I would much rather help ensure this site has the best artwork available :smiley:

• administrators

• administrators

Hey again to all our new mods.

I’ve just been in and fixed up the moderation queues, so that you guys can get started at your peril ;)

Front box art moderation is working once again, and I have removed 85 orphaned records from the “reported images” moderation queue.

We do have a small glitch with the moderation queues where, if an image is in both the “uploaded” and “reported” moderation queues at the same time, you can only operate on one of them, leaving the one in the other queue orphaned.

Let me know at any point if you notice any glitches like this and I’ll see if I can fix up the queues again.

Cheers for the good work guys :+1:

• Ah good, I was already wondering what that kind of empty things were in my list …clicked on the link, nothing happened; guess those were some of the 85 ;)

By the way; do you guys think of adding an own subcategory for hacks/user mods in the future? It’s just that I found entries for hacks from time to time and I deleted them for now, as you mentioned in the old forums that hacks should not be really part of the DB. But I guess users will always come back to create hack entries.

• @silverscar Definitely, there are lots of entries for NES hacks (which I am interested to read about, but really do belong in their own category)

• moderators

I think adding a small checkmark or something for hack / modification is a good idea. A lot of these hacks make their way onto new reproduction cartridges, so I’m sure people wanna be able to add into their collections and etc.

• Yeap, something like a checkmark or a flag seems pretty nice; so when you tick it, it will show all games of a section (e.g. SNES), including the hacks. Otherwise, if it’s unticked only officially released games are shown.

The only problem is imho; where do you draw the line, what is a hack/mod and what isn’t? Then we have to take care that the DB will not be flooded by stuff of ModDB.com ;)

• moderators

There could be a checkbox for Hack, Unlicensed and Cancelled, that way we could sort out properly reproductions and large scope hacks and Chinese pirates without it affecting collectors. Seems like the best idea.

Defining what is a hack or not I guess comes down to the scale of what has been modified. Proper description and presentation should be more or less what it comes down to.

• Sounds like a plan. We’ll see what the devs & site owners think about this option, it would not be to hard to integrate I guess, if it’s only about checkboxes :grin:

• administrators

I think @smidley is the man to talk to about this ;)