Proper Error Message When Log-In Fails

• Currently if someone enteres their password incorrectly when logging into the main website, it just throws you back to the home page with no explanation - Is the website playing up? Was the username and password incorrect? Are cookies being blocked? etc.

• administrators

We became aware of this issue a couple of days ago…

It used to throw a proper error message, but something has changed somewhere. Its possible that one of the many updates since the authentication was first coded has broken it.

I’ll take a look at the relevant code and see what I can do ;)

Lead Developer for TheGamesDB.net

• Brilliant :) Because the website isn’t currently letting me log in (credentials are correct and saved/managed by a password manager so I know they’re right) and I’d like to know why lol

• administrators

@robertybob - OK I’ll inspect your user profile and see what the issue could be, I may have to manually reset your password - roughly how long ago did you register your account?

Lead Developer for TheGamesDB.net

• Thanks @flexage :smiley: Between 1-2 years ago. Still can’t log in today :worried:

• Hmmm, maybe also something changed when you took the website offline for some time due to the server migration? or due to suffered server attacks when some had to create their accounts again?

Because my cookies also won’t work since then; I have to login every hour or so (Auto-Fill-In works fine, username and password are already written in the boxes), allthough cookies are activated & “Remember my password”-function was activated in FireFox, Internet Explorer or Opera.

• I’ve reset my password and all works well, but I still can’t figure out why my password stopped working. Oh well. But yeah, a proper error message would be nice :grin:

• Not exactly on topic but for some reason i cant stay logged in.
    Everytime i reopen http://thegamesdb.net/ or restart PC i have to login again and yes i check the remember me tick everytime but doesnt seem to remember me at all.
    The user name and password are saved i just have to click the login but still seems something isnt working properly… maybe its on my side but if it is i cant see what.