Recommendation System Based On TheGamesDb.Net

• Hi,

I created a personal project that allows people to get recommendations of new games they may like based on their ratings history. I plan to add other open communities databases in the future for free. I’m just wondering if you guys would get excited by such a project as it is very time consuming.

Here is a Demo Video that you may want to check : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=indkKNT49iQ

Enjoy !

Lynk5

The Lynk5 name comes from the aggregation of the terms Links and Lynx and a touch of geek attitude. The goal being to represent the underlying connections existing between our favourite digital items and the agile way to propose them.

• Hi folks,

I am finishing the interface between the Recommender and the TGDB Api and hope to be able to propose quasi instantly all newly added games for recommendation soon and publish the first alpha version on Azure.

It is nice to see the forums up again.

The Lynk5 name comes from the aggregation of the terms Links and Lynx and a touch of geek attitude. The goal being to represent the underlying connections existing between our favourite digital items and the agile way to propose them.

• Hi Folks! Here are the last updates :

The Lynk5 name comes from the aggregation of the terms Links and Lynx and a touch of geek attitude. The goal being to represent the underlying connections existing between our favourite digital items and the agile way proposed to present them.

I’m entering the testing phase on the Lynk5 Community Platform and delimited the scope to :

• Automatic and effortless Login + profile creation via Facebook (use public data & pictures once permitted by the user)
    • Obfuscation of the real people names from other people with an automatically chosen pseudonym (from the Aristocats movie) =}
    • Possibility to update the personal profile pseudonym & description
    • Automatic creation and update of the personal library of each user every time a game is rated by clicking on the 5 possible stars.
    • Automatic detection and integration of newly added Lynks from TGDB.net (More communities to come)
    • Creation of a wall with last added Lynks and Users activities/comments
    • Possibility to explore the library of other people ranked from the currently logged user tastes
    • Possibility to post comments on the wall
    • Getting personalized recommendations based on the features liked in the past ratings
    • Possibility to get the most similar Lynks related to one specific Lynk still not rated by the currently logged user with a prediction of the personal rating
    • Possibility to navigate through several dimensions from any Lynk such as : genre, tags, topics, periods, producers, authors, popularity and all at once + get specific recommendations ranked by ratings predictions
    • Fun navigation that allows to spin the recommendations wheel and explore the whole library or the one of any specific user in a coherent way and to be able to keep a navigation history of all the logged user actions.
    • The middle circle present the current selection, the inner ring the possible contextual actions and the outer ring the Lynks & recommendations. (soon users will be added too)
    • Fuzzy search allowing to find any Lynks similar to the entered criteria even if they are not exact matches and ranking of the search results by the currently user tastes.
    • Possibility to search the whole library or the one of a specific user.
    • Possibility to see the detail of a Lynk on the corresponding community owner like TGDB.net
    • Possibility to watch a popular trailer/associated video directly drawn from YouTube dynamically.
    • Possibility to follow a link to Amazon and directly acquire the game or other Lynks from the platform recommendations.
    • Short videos explaining the main functionalities.

Still a ton of testing on the schedule and the final installation on Azure can take a while too.

Hope you will like it when its ready. {=

Thanks to the TGDB community for creating such a fun DB & API !

Lynk5

• Cloud update {=

Was able to upload the database on my Azure Cloud Server after having to fix some strange games that the API just didn’t want to serve programmatically for some reasons or because the ones returned just contained an id but no other fields. I guess the later is due to some “fake deletes” that may have occurred for maintenance reasons. Your advice is welcome on that point. I also mounted a process that checks for TGDB updates every hours.

The result is that I finally imported 26’984 games references instead of the expected 34’740. I guess its satisfactory for the moment. I’m now running the features creation process that will be used by the recommender engine. As said before the goal is not to import the full TGDB database but to use it as a reference and a mean to “connect” digital objects (Lynks) together. For example all the pictures and games descriptions are served directly by the TGDB server. Nonetheless, the database should be ready soon, and concerning TGDB we have :

TGDB Games Lynks : 26’984
    TGDB Unique Features : 10’193
    TGDB Total Features : 6’835’404
    Lynk5 Recommender DB Size : ~600 MB (without any user-profiles)

Next phase is to take care of the Web Portal and start the integration testing and prepare for the Live event…

Have a great week end {=

Lynk5

• Hi Folks !

I just finished the 3 presentation clips about the Lynk5 Recommender Engine and take the opportunity to post them here :

Sign-In & Overview
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=indkKNT49iQ

Getting Recommendations
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ZHC4PRxuw

Socializing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXPemDvX0qo

The Alpha version is almost fully tested and I may be interested if some of you would be ok to participate in a closed Beta before going Live. Simply PM me if it is the case.

Hope you liked the vids.

Lynk5

• Ok Guys,

Here is the final situation point before the first release. Lynk5 is a Capstone project created for fun on my spare time, therefore not all the functionalities that one would expect to see will be available. The original project that is the foundation of the Recommender Engine consists of a highly scalable Hybrid Recommender Engine including Collaborative Filtering, Semantics and Topic Modeling. For the time being only semantics have been added but if sufficiently many people register it will possible to recommend users that you may like and add other communities like TheMovieDatabase [TMDB] (which was used for the first prototype), MusicBrainz and maybe books while improving the functionalities related to socializing. All the algorithms used by the Engine were especially developed for Lynk5 and it was a lot of fun to give it birth within the TGDB community.

I expect to upload the last version and the thousands related lines of codes in a couple of days after re-importing, rebuilding all the features and correcting the last few graphical issues that are left. This first version will be only working properly on Chrome as the human power to support all platforms is not available at the moment.

While Lynk5 is a serious project within a challenging domain, I wanted to keep it fun and entertaining for others too. Hope you will like it when it’s out.

Even Dr Manhattan likes Lynk5 {=

See you soon !

Lynk5

• Hi Folks, TGDB has a Recommender Engine up and running ! {=

The re-importation went through without any bad surprise and I was able to upload as promised the latest Alpha version 0.1a of Lynk5 to my Azure servers.

Be aware that I had to tone down and tune a little bit the queries as the latency on the “entry price” Azure servers is a bit annoying and tend to require half a second for any serious query, even the most optimized ones. Therefore the “Find Lynk5” function is a bit slow in comparison to the local tests that used the same DB in the videos. Depending on the project evolution I may look into it and increase the overall performances. However, this first version is usable and still perform ok without stealing the fun. I hope.

There is an important security update though as it is not yet the good time to redirect to the reserved Domain Name and activate SSL (secure transmission). Therefore the Facebook App only requires you to allow using the pictures you have in your account and do not ask/take the name, age, email etc… Only the pictures that you can update later on.

Here is a print of the new user profile screen : http://postimg.org/image/qxryaw70h/
    And here are the fields requested by Lynk5 when communicating with FB : “fields=id,picture.type(large),albums.fields(photos.fields(source))&access_token=” + accessToken);

This way you do not have to bother about any bad minded “men in the middle” or lack of trust when starting to use a new App. Hope its enough for you. Here is the link to the Engine :

http://lynk5.azurewebsites.net

That’s all for now.

Hope you will like it.

Cheers.

Lynk5

• Great work!

• Thx,

If any of you is motivated, one could imagine to use a “TGDB App/single sign-in” to connect securely and simultaneously to Lynk5 as well and save us the time and effort to recreate a legacy Nickname/Password boring process… For now I have no time to do such things.

Hope you understand.

Cheers
    Lynk5

• administrators

Great work! This looks awesome!

Lead Developer for TheGamesDB.net

• Hi all,

As discussed shortly with Flexage, I plan to keep the FB registration for this first Alpha version as everyone can control the security settings when allowing the application and/or with the FB security by toggling to private/public all the account aspects except… the name and FB ID obviously…

I just want to make clear that each time you use FB or any widespread FB App on the Web you allow those to know almost everything on you and if you do not own a SSL certificate your Internet provider can also be aware of these facts. It is quite common knowledge but few fully realise those points. With Lynk5 we require only minimal information that are as much as possible not sensitive, but want to have some sort of “federated single sign-in” as it helps to chain Trust and ensure that our servers won’t get spammed too easily. One may say that someone could create a fake FB account to connect to Lynk5 but it is more difficult and I will monitor time to time or on request the posted content.

The ideal case would obviously be to have first a SSL certificate, a TGDB trust agreement for a single sign-in and therefore be able to show a “white paw” to you all. We live in a crazy world populated with two types of people : the one who create and the ones who destroy. We chose the first option. Hope you’ll understand why this “strategy” was first elected.

Things will take time to be fully as they have to be, but there is no reason why this shouldn’t grow positively like it is done in so many websites/communities. This first version is also calibrated with a minimum physical resources usage and will be upgraded at the end of the alpha stage which could be done quickly depending on the situation.

Creating communities like TGDB and recommender engines is pretty hard and will inevitably take a little bit of time to reach the best possible overall solution.

Cheers to everyone. {=

Lynk5

• Hi,

For info, I just updated the Facebook Page with the Alpha stage info.

You can find it here : https://www.facebook.com/Lynk5Community/

When more time will be available, I will add MusicBrainz and probably The Movies Database and create an additional Sign-in process to the FB one and upgrade to a real Domain Name and Https.

Enjoy {=

Lynk5

• Here the first mock-up of the new design I did in a few hours. It’s not final and there are also the other screens that I may regroup and put in a InVisionApp video if I have the time.

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13603685_1101831179895909_4342973601275644383_o.jpg

Enjoy ! {=

https://www.facebook.com/Lynk5Community/

• Hi !

Two minutes of Web Design of the new Lynk5 graphical user interface “look & feel” that will be released with the Alpha version 0.2. The central recommendations wheel functionalities will be kept and more features will be added later on whenever possible.

The new WebSite will be instantiated with Angular.JS 2.0 and probably Foundation 5.0 as they allow quick development of the more standard functionalities. I will probably keep the custom MVVM and binder for the more advanced stuff and the 3D “Cube Style” transition between main pages will be also kept as is.

A mobile version would be an awesome addition too!

Enjoy {=

https://youtu.be/N2OjL2DBIgQ

https://www.facebook.com/Lynk5Community/

• Hi !

Just wanted to post some News about Lynk5. Went on working on the project on my spare time. Here is a GIF of the current GUI:

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/900/1*w9PEHSHP-gmzz7FHL0T-Rw.gif

The full-recommender is well advanced and a total port of the prototypes presented so far on a highly distributed Cloud architecture.

I will post again on this in a few months I guess. If there is any graphical UX developer out there specialized in Angular 4, just get in touch with me.

Best
    Lynk5 :)

• Just to give an idea, here are some architecture diagrams of how the architecture is evolving:

0_1514920806384_AAIA_wDGAAAAAQAAAAAAAAtOAAAAJDk5NTc5NjQzLTdkNWItNGRjZi04MWRmLTM0YjgyMzg1NDFlMw.png

0_1514920814568_AAIA_wDGAAAAAQAAAAAAAA1XAAAAJDhlZmE1ZDliLTY4MjYtNGM3ZS1iYWE5LWU3NjA1Y2U2MjRkMw.png

0_1514920820669_AAIA_wDGAAAAAQAAAAAAAA3kAAAAJDZiMWJiMWM4LTcwYzEtNDEwNC1iNmVmLTQ0MzA2MDk1YTA2Yw.png

0_1514920835725_AAIA_wDGAAAAAQAAAAAAAAoWAAAAJGNkODZhMTMzLTk3NjYtNDBmOC04NDNmLTg0OTRiNDI2ZTMwYQ.png

It is a huge project but we are getting there.

Cheers
    Lynk5

• Hi again :)

Just a little update about the Security of the Lynk5 Recommender. The design now allows to connect with the following means:

• Create an account from an e-mail address
    • Connect from existing Social Network accounts such as Facebook, Twitter, Amazon etc…
    • Verify account via e-mail
    • Verify account via SMS
    • Recover Forgotten Password

Here-after some screens of the workflow from a fake “Baby Boss” Facebook Account :panda_face:

0_1515321516856_BabyBoss.png
    0_1515321780753_Sign-up.png
    3_1515321536784_Sign-up_Authorize_FB_App.png 2_1515321536783_Sign-up_Account_Fields.png !
    0_1515321406806_Sign-up_Multi_Factors_EMail.png
    1_1515321536783_Sign-up.png 0_1515321536783_Sign-In.png