API Key Request for Gamesibeat.com

This is where you can request API access. Please be sure to mention what your use case is and if possible a link to the project.
Please provide a basic overview of your proposed use of the API.
Any request lacking this information will be denied pending an appropriate response.
Forum rules
API Keys (unique userpage)
Usergroups (request API Users access here after posting a new topic below)

Please provide a basic overview of your proposed use of the API.
Any request lacking this information will be denied pending an appropriate response.

Please do not request keys as end users of another project, as those projects should request and properly implement their own keys. Key requests of this nature will be removed in the interest of more efficiently handling project requests. Assistance may be available upon contact for projects experiencing issues utilizing the current API.
gamesibeat

API Key Request for Gamesibeat.com

Post by gamesibeat »

Hello TheGamesDB team,

I have been using your API for many years. I use your API to retrieve some game data for my site gamesibeat.com. I would like to continue using your API. Would it possible to get an API key?

Thanks,
Gamesibeat

Zer0xFF

Re: API Key Request for Gamesibeat.com

Post by Zer0xFF »

Hi there,

You've been granted an API key which you can access through this page.
if you used the only API, you should look at the possibility of using the legacy subdomain while changing to the new api.

please check the Announcement forum on regular bases to ensure compliance with any changes or updates.

Regards
Zer0xFF
Regards
Zer0xFF

gamesibeat

Post by gamesibeat »

Thanks so much for the quick response. Ill give it a try.

gamesibeat

Post by gamesibeat »

Zer0xFF wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:11 pm
Hi there,

You've been granted an API key which you can access through this page.
if you used the only API, you should look at the possibility of using the legacy subdomain while changing to the new api.

please check the Announcement forum on regular bases to ensure compliance with any changes or updates.

Regards
Zer0xFF
Okay the key is working for me, but it looks like your still missing a bunch of data in the ByGameID API call. Also, says my key only has 999 calls for a month. Unfortunately I cannot work with that. Since I am a web developer that works on API's for a living I will offer my services if you need help.

Thanks,
Gamesibeat

Leo_Pride

Post by Leo_Pride »

Hopefully ZerO can elaborate on usage, but the understanding I've had is that each call can make 20 requests, so 10000 entries with images or 20000 without.
We're curious to see how new projects use TGDB API.
If you have a new public project, please provide a link to it so we can highlight cool new applications! 8-)

gamesibeat

Post by gamesibeat »

Okay so it looks like you have to specify separate fields when querying a game by ID.

https://api.thegamesdb.net/Games/ByGame ... somestring

The issues I am seeing with having such a low query allowance is that several of the fields just return an ID. Which means you would have to make subsequent queries to get the values of those IDs.

Instead of having to query the developers, publishers, genre and platform again after querying the game. You should be able to add a join to your API call so it can just return all of this data instead of forcing the user to make several more API queries.

Thanks,
Gamesibeat

Zer0xFF

Post by Zer0xFF »

there isn't a single API endpoint that returns ID only.

all the `/Games/*` endpoint can be called with `&field=publishers,genres.....etc` so there is almost no need to request ID 1st then the required data, the only time thats required is if you want fan art,banners,clearlogo (all those can be requested at once though) since you can only request those through `/Games/images` endpoint.

also, if you're using this endpoint `/Games/ByGameID?id=1,2,3,4,5,6` you can request as much as URL limit would allow you in 1 request (though each page has a 20 game limit, but the rest will be split into a 2nd page).

lastly, since your project is a website, you should be maintaining your own mirror and only really requesting updates that way you won't be bound by any limits, and we do plan on providing a private key with a finite request limit to create a mirror for uses such as yours.

lastly, just nit picking `id,game_title,release_date,developers` are always included by default so you don't need to specify them.
Regards
Zer0xFF

gamesibeat

Post by gamesibeat »

Yes you are right, I figured out the field parts later. However, I meant that when pulling in a games information instead of a publisher name it pulls in an ID. Thats basically what im talking about making subsequent calls. I could store a mirror of your id's but what if I pull in a new game and it has a new publisher. That would be pretty unrealistic. Same thing with developers and what not. Does that make sense?

P.S. Do you guys have a donation link I can donate to this project?

Thanks,
Gamesibeat

Zer0xFF

Post by Zer0xFF »

gamesibeat wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:36 pm
Yes you are right, I figured out the field parts later. However, I meant that when pulling in a games information instead of a publisher name it pulls in an ID. Thats basically what im talking about making subsequent calls. I could store a mirror of your id's but what if I pull in a new game and it has a new publisher. That would be pretty unrealistic. Same thing with developers and what not. Does that make sense?
ya, but that shouldn't be an issue, since you should be caching the publisher list to start with...
but yes, if a game has a new publisher, you can just request the list again and cache it..
while we don't have every single publisher listed, the current list is over 4000 names, so likely hood of that happening is low that it shouldn't be much of an issue.

either way, my advise is to use the API, try to minimise calls by caching and see whats your request load, when it becomes an issue then let us know, as I think you're getting ahead of yourself right now.
gamesibeat wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:36 pm
P.S. Do you guys have a donation link I can donate to this project?
not at the moment, but we might look at the possibility of this.
Regards
Zer0xFF

gamesibeat

Post by gamesibeat »

I plan on doing as you mention about just mirroring the API. I will only update it once a week so I shouldn't be making too many calls. If you guys get a donation link let me know id like to contribute in some way to keep this thing going.

Thanks for the support!