Need API Key Please

This is where you can request API access. Please be sure to mention what your use case is and if possible a link to the project.
Please provide a basic overview of your proposed use of the API.
Any request lacking this information will be denied pending an appropriate response.
Forum rules
API Keys (unique userpage)
Usergroups (request API Users access here after posting a new topic below)

Please provide a basic overview of your proposed use of the API.
Any request lacking this information will be denied pending an appropriate response.

Please do not request keys as end users of another project, as those projects should request and properly implement their own keys. Key requests of this nature will be removed in the interest of more efficiently handling project requests. Assistance may be available upon contact for projects experiencing issues utilizing the current API.
chrisrocks85

Need API Key Please

Post by chrisrocks85 »

Hello,

I am developing a home personal use project which is essentially an HTPC that can catalog games. It will need access to a great database like yours when necessary. Could you please supply an API key for me. :)

Also, I was wondering if any upcoming API changes will still in fact break compatibility of older scripts that parse the XML output? Is there a possible means of having a command for the new API that can alternatively trigger output that will remain compatible with scripts that were built around the legacy API? (ie. XML output formatted the same as it always has been, but still needing the API key). I think this could really help many of those out there who have been using your database for years now.

Thanks in advance, keep up the great work!

Can't wait to give the new API a test run.

Zer0xFF

Re: Need API Key Please

Post by Zer0xFF »

Hi GamersDatabase,

You've been given access to the API, you can find your key here, if your project ever goes public please bump this thread and let us know of that, tanks.
if you're using the old api and your app has active users, I'd recommend using the legacy subdomain as you adapt your code to the new API.

the new api will return json response, and while the idea of it also returning xml was entertained, should it happen it will not retain the old format as such it will break compatibility regardless, also the old api will be shutdown some time soon into the future so It's highly recommended to move off it as soon as possible, but in regards to the new api introducing non compatible changes, that would be very unlikely and we'll try to version it in a way to allow both changes to exist as we slowly remove the old change while allowing you to adapt your app, with that said please keep an eye on the forum for any changes to the api, the next planned change would be to change the way dev/publishers are listed.

Regards
Zer0xFF
Regards
Zer0xFF