Can we establish naming conventions for game titles and format for descriptions?

A place to talk about whatever you want.
zach1011

Can we establish naming conventions for game titles and format for descriptions?

Post by zach1011 »

I just got ahold of this app yesterday and added a good chunk of my JP Famicom and Super Famicom collection, but I'm seeing lots of discrepancies in names for titles (Ex: Writing "(JP)" next to games with English titles to denote JP releases, while writing titles for other JP games in Romaji, etc.) and this makes it incredibly hard to organize anything.

Other stuff I'm seeing is using incorrect titles for JP games like the one below:

"Zelda No Densetsu: The Hyrule Fantasy"

If we are gonna go the romaji route for JP game titles, then we should keep it consistent and write the entire title in Romaji. This means that words shared in both JP and EN such as "Zelda" would be written in their own variants: EN -> "Zelda", JP -> "Zeruda", etc.

Anyways some of this is totally nitpicking, but it would be great to have some sort of consistency with how we do this.

I'm totally open to suggestions, but just wanted to get the ball rolling on something. :)

StainlessSteelRat

Re: Can we establish naming conventions for game titles and format for descriptions?

Post by StainlessSteelRat »

We have to be really careful especially for the Japanese naming conventions.

I prefer Romaji for the Katakana but shared words with common spellings, that gets tricky. If the user forgets to fill out the alternate title card with something that DOES say Zelda, then searches for Zelda won't yield the JPN copy.

English only speaking users need to be able to find these games too.

steviecoyle

Re: Can we establish naming conventions for game titles and format for descriptions?

Post by steviecoyle »

I think a basic naming convention might be a good idea.
I see some games (i.e. Crysis 3 PS3) listed twice. One for North America and one for Europe (Crysis 3 PAL).
They were released days apart but they are basically the same game.

My only question is would people collect both copyies?
If the answer is yes, then I suppose we need to list the both.

edirol

Post by edirol »

Currently we are working on region support and naming rules too. It means both NA and PAL Crysis 3 games are kinda legit. I hope we will present new features soon.

steviecoyle

Post by steviecoyle »

edirol wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:09 am
Currently we are working on region support and naming rules too. It means both NA and PAL Crysis 3 games are kinda legit. I hope we will present new features soon.
Thanks for the info. I noticed today, when I tried to make a an edit to a game, that the region is required but not set.
I take it this is the feature you are working on.

edirol

Post by edirol »

Yes, we added it not so long time ago. It's one of the steps. We plan to do more changes later.