[Platform Request] Famicom/Super Famicom

See something wrong with a game? Ask about it here.
lancol

[Platform Request] Famicom/Super Famicom

Post by lancol »

It appears there may have been a deliberate choice to group Famicom with NES and Super Famicom with the SNES.

I propose that they are each given their own "platform." I can see the argument for grouping them, however I personally would benefit to them being separate. I've recently downloaded the GAMEYE app and wanted to be able to distinguish my SNES from my Super Famicom.

EvilWizard

Re: [Platform Request] Famicom/Super Famicom

Post by EvilWizard »

I agree these are separate formats and should be split up to enable collectors to track each collection efficiently.

Leo_Pride

Post by Leo_Pride »

No they aren't, they're separate regions, and we're already stretching things by having Genesis and MegaDrive separate.
A separate format would be the Famicom Disk System, which has an entry.
We're curious to see how new projects use TGDB API.
If you have a new public project, please provide a link to it so we can highlight cool new applications! 8-)

Jaffo

Post by Jaffo »

I have no skin in this game since I don't own any Famicom or Super Famicom games/systems, but I would argue that they are different. You can't play the japanese games in US systems without modifying the system (or the cartridge). For example, the shape of the cartridge of a SFC game is different than the US SNES - so it won't even fit in the slot. Region locking aside, this physical difference stops you from plugging it in to a US console.

Leo_Pride

Post by Leo_Pride »

You have to follow through on that logic, and having separate formats for NTSC and PAL systems, for instance (if you think you're going to plug-and-play with no additional considerations, you're in for a nasty surprise) is asinine.

Proper regions support should address this, but adding things like Akumajou Dracula (Castlevania) to FDS for the eighteenth time because the carts are different form-factors would be unwise.
We're curious to see how new projects use TGDB API.
If you have a new public project, please provide a link to it so we can highlight cool new applications! 8-)

XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

How would you track games then that are different between the two systems? Many games have features added or removed between regions, should we have entries for both types? For example the regional difference with the game Contra. They are robots in Europe and even the main character graphics are different.