[Platform Request] Famicom/Super Famicom

See something wrong with a game? Ask about it here.
lancol

[Platform Request] Famicom/Super Famicom

Post by lancol » Tue May 29, 2018 10:39 pm

It appears there may have been a deliberate choice to group Famicom with NES and Super Famicom with the SNES.

I propose that they are each given their own "platform." I can see the argument for grouping them, however I personally would benefit to them being separate. I've recently downloaded the GAMEYE app and wanted to be able to distinguish my SNES from my Super Famicom.

EvilWizard

Re: [Platform Request] Famicom/Super Famicom

Post by EvilWizard » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:29 am

I agree these are separate formats and should be split up to enable collectors to track each collection efficiently.

Leo_Pride

Post by Leo_Pride » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:31 pm

No they aren't, they're separate regions, and we're already stretching things by having Genesis and MegaDrive separate.
A separate format would be the Famicom Disk System, which has an entry.
We're curious to see how new projects use TGDB API.
If you have a new public project, please provide a link to it so we can highlight cool new applications! 8-)

Jaffo

Post by Jaffo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:07 am

I have no skin in this game since I don't own any Famicom or Super Famicom games/systems, but I would argue that they are different. You can't play the japanese games in US systems without modifying the system (or the cartridge). For example, the shape of the cartridge of a SFC game is different than the US SNES - so it won't even fit in the slot. Region locking aside, this physical difference stops you from plugging it in to a US console.

Leo_Pride

Post by Leo_Pride » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:37 pm

You have to follow through on that logic, and having separate formats for NTSC and PAL systems, for instance (if you think you're going to plug-and-play with no additional considerations, you're in for a nasty surprise) is asinine.

Proper regions support should address this, but adding things like Akumajou Dracula (Castlevania) to FDS for the eighteenth time because the carts are different form-factors would be unwise.
We're curious to see how new projects use TGDB API.
If you have a new public project, please provide a link to it so we can highlight cool new applications! 8-)