How about adding more release information?

A place to talk about whatever you want.
GibGirl

How about adding more release information?

Post by GibGirl »

For games in the DB, what are the thoughts on adding more release information to the entries?

The ones I think of offhand:
  • Release type: physical release, or digital only
  • Release regions: what regions saw an official release
  • Region compatibility: is the title region-locked or region-free?
And while I'm sure it would be even more involved to add the support, what about being able to link various versions of a game together? So when viewing a title, you can see what other systems it was released for, or alternate versions.

Zer0xFF

Re: How about adding more release information?

Post by Zer0xFF »

Release type could work as an option.

Release regions is more problematic, as I doubt we can agree on a definition for region

Region compatibility is very iffy, as im not aware of any game thats region locked, it tends to be the console that enforces this.

I have considered linked different platform to each other, and I've added it to my do to list, now I just need to find the time to start working on that :/
Regards
Zer0xFF

GibGirl

Re: How about adding more release information?

Post by GibGirl »

Zer0xFF wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:27 pm
Release regions is more problematic, as I doubt we can agree on a definition for region

Region compatibility is very iffy, as im not aware of any game thats region locked, it tends to be the console that enforces this.
I understand that there's often complexity when it comes to what constitutes a "region" when it comes to release and licensing and all that. I wonder if there's a system that can be developed that would help as a rough guide - perhaps identify the most common cases, and use those, with a special category for ones that don't fit well into the others? I guess the main value is in identifying NA, Japan, and European-specific releases easily.

As far as compatibility, I'm not sure what you mean about consoles enforcing the region lock as opposed to the game - at least for console games, I don't think that distinction is meaningful. The games hold the information that the console uses to determine if it should run it.

I'm looking at both of these from the perspective of someone trying to collect games for a console, and determine what a "full set" is.