Japan vs US vs EU release dates, variants

A place to talk about whatever you want.
bridgeguy88

Japan vs US vs EU release dates, variants

Post by bridgeguy88 »

Hi all,

I really like to sort my collection using release dates, it helps to jog my memory when scrolling through my "life in gaming." One issue I'm having is regarding variations in release dates. For instance, Pokemon Blue came out on 10/15/1996 in Japan, and that is the date currently applied to the game in the database. But I live in the US, and our release date was close to two years later, 9/28/1998. The cover art shown on the site for Pokemon Blue is the US release version. Many of us may even own an actual copy of the Japanese version, and we may want to differentiate it by creating a new entry for the Japanese version. How does everybody else feel about this? Shouldn't release dates match the version pictured and linked in price charting, eBay, etc?

Thank you all, wanted to check before I made changes or added games.

Zer0xFF

Re: Japan vs US vs EU release dates, variants

Post by Zer0xFF »

Hi,

this is unfortunately an on going issue, that we've still yet to find a solution for.

just to give you an idea of the scope of this problem.
if we allow different regions into the database as it, we'd practically increase the game count on the site by anywhere from 2x-4x
which while isn't an issue per se, it will create duplicate work through out, as the difference between any 2 region might only be cover art, or release date, or slightly tweaked area.. etc etc (aka the change can be anything from small to large, so having 4 copies of 1 game might not always be justified).

so whats the solution then?
Ideally, we'd have 1 game listing, with multi region support?
but that in itself causes more issues, how do we define regions and where do we draw the line?
Euro/America/ASIA
EU for the most part is self contained*
I believe south/north America are also self contained*
Asia isn't a clear cut, Jap, China, and Korea tend to be very distinct in that regards

* I'm sure exception happen

which bring another problem, how would the user interface look for updating all that info on the site?
and finally, the biggest problem, the API, how would this information be presented on the api.

this is definitely a problem we need to solve, but its also one that will take time :(
Regards
Zer0xFF