Adding more specific game genres?

A place to talk about whatever you want.
Gladson

Adding more specific game genres?

Post by Gladson »

Right now, all games in TGDB must have genres taken from the following list:

Action
Adventure
Board
Construction and Management Simulation
Education
Family
Fighting
Flight Simulator
GBA Video / PSP Video
Horror
Life Simulation
MMO
Music
Party
Platform
Productivity
Puzzle
Quiz
Racing
Role-Playing
Sandbox
Shooter
Sports
Stealth
Strategy
Unofficial
Utility
Vehicle Simulation
Virtual Console

However, thanks to that some types of games that have very specific characteristics are labeled in a very generic way. The first one that comes to my mind: Beat 'em ups. "Beat 'em up" refers to a very specific type of game, but right now "Streets of Rage" and "Final Fight", the more famous ones, are labeled as "Action | Fighting", and that's way too generic.

Another good examples: right now, both "Gradius" and "Contra" are labeled as "Action | Shooter" even though they are COMPLETELY different games. I really think "Shoot 'em up" and "Run 'n' gun" should be among the available genres since they can refer to very specific kinds of games.

How about compilations? They're VERY common and currently there's no way to label them properly. When they have just a couple of games, you could just add every individual genre. But how about HUGE ones like the Sega Genesis collections? They have dozens of games from many different genres so I really think compilations should just be labeled as "Compilation", "Collection" or something like that.

Children, please leave the room. Are they gone? Another genre that I think should be added: "Erotic". Yeah, I know there aren't too many of them, but back in the 80's and 90's they weren't so uncommon. There's one that I have in my personal collection ("The Yakyuuken Special", for the Sega Saturn, game id = 77585) that right now is labeled as... "Sports"???

"Mario Paint" for the SNES and "Art Alive" for the Genesis are exactly the same type of "game": drawing ones. However, Mario Paint is now labeled as "Puzzle" and Art Alive as "Family". Maybe "Creativity" could describe this kind of "game".

I've been taking a look at some games and how they're currently labeled and here are some suggestions that I think could be added to increase assertiveness of game's genres in TGDB:

Beat 'em up
Run 'n' gun
Shoot 'em up
Collection / Collection / etc
First Person Shooter
Third Person Shooter
Erotic
Creativity

I guess that's it. Thanks for your attention!

edirol

Re: Adding more specific game genres?

Post by edirol »

Answered on Discord

Gladson

Re: Adding more specific game genres?

Post by Gladson »

edirol wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:28 am
Answered on Discord
Thanks! I really hope the plans for a subgenre become a reality in the near future!