UID

Talk about your favorite games!
Varsas

UID

Post by Varsas »

Are these things like barcodes? I wanted to add the EU one for Virtua Tennis 2 but it's not enabled.

Leo_Pride

Re: UID

Post by Leo_Pride »

They're currently disabled because implementation is broken, and there's been sufficient discussion to muddy the waters of what these are intended to be.

My understanding is that they're presently meant to be a header checksum of sorts to identify unique titles by actual dump files rather than searching full data every time, but they've also been considered everything from UPCs to platform catalogue numbers at different times.
We're curious to see how new projects use TGDB API.
If you have a new public project, please provide a link to it so we can highlight cool new applications! 8-)

Varsas

Post by Varsas »

Thanks for the reply. It's useful to know about this history.

Does the db cater for multiple versions of games based on region?

M1nt5

Post by M1nt5 »

For the most part yes, although TheGamesDB has struggled to establish a universally accepted way to distinguish between region versions. Sometimes it's easy, due to games having multiple names across regions. But the userbase has a pretty passive opinion on standards for this particular topic. Some games are named with (PAL) or another region within the title. A good portion of people believe games should be listed with characters from said country or region. But most everyone doesn't seem to care, which is disappointing. Hopefully something gets standardized for the DB soon.

walllyb

Post by walllyb »

Just checking because i am trying to add a UPC for xbox Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Steel Book edition are moderators able to add a UID? and also does anyone know how gameye uses this to get the price charting value of a game is the price charting Id needed?
In case anyone is able to get this to work the UPC is: 040198003452 and the price charting ID is 4835899